900 West Adams Boulevard

PLEASE ALSO SEE OUR COMPANION HISTORIES
FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO ADAMS BOULEVARD, CLICK HERE




After purchasing a prime lot at the southwest corner of Adams and Portland streets on August 27, 1892, Russell Judson Waters—the founder of Redlands, where he was a serious citrus grower, and later a U.S. Congressman and banker—was issued a permit to begin construction of his new Los Angeles residence on September 22 of the next year; the result was a house in the current high-Victorian style, but one that had barely a decade to be considered fashionable and was distinctly passé by the time Waters died there on September 25, 1911. While newer and more horizontal domestic architectural modes quickly rendered it a relic, the house managed to survive into the 1950s, an apartment building replacing it by 1964. The Waters house found fame as a movie star in its dotage, appearing to great effect in The Curse of the Cat People (1944) and William Castle's 13 Ghosts (1960), images from which appear below.

Mercifully we have remnants of 900 West Adams, including the Portland Street side of the fence and another set of gateposts that match those lost at the front. And the property's carriage house still stands, now addressed 2625 Portland. It can be seen as a miniature echo of the lost main house, complete with a turret and multifaceted roofline similar to those of its "mother."




The 120-year-old carriage house survives as an echo of the main house, seen at top next to its
looming neighbor, the Second Chruch of Christ, Scientist, built in 1910 and still standing.




Illustrations: Private Collection; Columbia Pictures/Sony; Kansas Sebastian