880 West Adams Boulevard

PLEASE ALSO SEE OUR COMPANION HISTORIES
FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO ADAMS BOULEVARD, CLICK HERE





While it became known as the Newmark house—or a Newmark house, as there were numerous Newmarks in Los Angeles, one of the city's oldest and most prominent clans—wholesale grocer Morris A. Newmark did not build 880 West Adams Street but rather bought it from its original owners in 1901. A building permit for the modern and charmingly galleried house was issued to Margaret Gossage Blaisdell, wife of Richard Perrot Blaisdell, in late April 1895. Even in a pretty, 18-room, $15,000 house in the most salubrious part of Los Angeles, the Blaisdells, native Chicagoans, were not happily married; property, in fact, seemed to be their primary issue. It seems that Mr. Blaisdell, who was an insurance-office clerk when he married Margaret, a dry-goods heiress, in Alameda on May 18, 1894, had begun a dubious career as a real estate investor. The problem was that Dickie Blaisdell's capital—he was referred to in some reports as a "capitalist," that Gilded Age designator of primacy—was actually part of his wife's patrimony, and that he neglected to include her name on various deeds. The trouble started within months of the couple having moved into Adams Street, the Los Angeles Times would report on May 30, 1902, when Margaret, living with Dickie at 880 "in all the confidential relations pertaining to the status of husband and wife," had sought additional land to add a carriage barn to the property but had discovered that the deed was not executed in her name as had been that of the main house. Other "misdeeds" followed, resulting in Margaret fleeing back to Chicago in the spring of 1901 with five-year-old Sarah and then bringing suit against Dickie. The house at the southeast corner of Adams and Portland streets went on the market forthwith. An unhappy couple's troubles would turn out to be all to the gain of Prussian-born Morris Newmark and his wife—she was also his first cousin—with the grounds of 880 now lush and the neighborhood building out with the impressive residences of others of the city's top entrepreneurial and social ranks. On August 18, 1901, the Times reported that the Blaisdells had just sold 880 to the Newmarks for $25,000; details included that the house was of frame and stone construction and that the deep lot had 117 feet of Adams Street frontage.


As seen within a few years of completion, a three-quarter view of 880 West Adams Street reveals
its stonework and its impressive west-side bay and the house's depth compared to its width.


By all accounts, Morris Newmark was quietly diligent in building and maintaining his business, M. A. Newmark & Company; he also appears to have led a sedate family life on Adams Street. He and Mrs. Newmark, Harriet, had four children, ranging in age from 21 to 6 when the family moved into 880. All four were unmarried and still living at home when Mrs. Newmark died on November 13, 1918, a victim of the Spanish flu epidemic of that year. Twelve years later, son William and the Newmark's only daughter, Edna, were still living with their father at 880 when Morris came down with pneumonia; after being transferred to the Glendale Sanitarium, he died there on November 14, 1930. Robert, William, and Alfred Newmark received three-quarters of their father's $3,221,000 estate; Edna received an income as well as 880, which appears may have been held as part of her trust. She and William remained in the house into the war years, by which time, with servants scarce and upkeep of an old barn no doubt onerous, 880 West Adams was ripe for conversion to institutional use, as were many residences in the neighborhood. The U.S.C. chapter of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity (better known as FIJI), founded in 1948, acquired 880 as their house that year. It appears that Union Bank, acting as Edna Newmark's trustee, may have held on to the property, leasing it to FIJI for 15 years; at any rate, it was owned by the bank when the Department of Building and Safety issued a demolition permit for the house on March 29, 1965. The lot remained bare for the next 13 years, during which time it was acquired by U.S.C.; on March 17, 1978, the university was issued a permit to put up a three-story-over-garage apartment building, which, with the address of 2610 Portland Street and the name Founders Apartments, sits on the site of the Newmark house today.




Illustration: Private Collection; LAPL